The Novella Initiative
As of 2017, we have a new initiative.
Without further ado, we unveil…
The Book Smugglers Publishing Novella Initiative
Starting in 2017, we are looking at publishing a number of Speculative Fiction novellas per year, alongside our short stories, anthologies, and other works.
We’re looking for original novellas from all around the world as long as they are written in English. Each novella will be accompanied by one original piece of artwork from an artist commissioned by us separately.
What We’re Looking For:
- DIVERSITY. We want to read and publish novellas that reflect the diverse world we live in, about and from traditionally underrepresented perspectives. We more than welcome stories featuring LGBTQIA characters: PLEASE SEND THEM TO US. It should go without saying that we’d hope for a respectful and responsible approach to creating diverse worlds and characters.
- Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Adult audience submissions are welcome. Good speculative fiction is ageless!
- We are VERY keen on receiving Speculative Fiction stories within the Romance, Horror, and Science Fiction genres (or stories with strong romantic, horror, or sci-fi elements).
- Creativity & Subversion. We love subversive stories. We want you to challenge the status quo with your characters, story telling technique, and themes.
Guidelines for Submission:
- We are looking for original speculative fiction, between 17,500 and 40,000 words long.
- These SFF offerings must be previously unpublished in English; we will consider works that were originally published in other languages now in English, provided that the author has the right to sell the English language edition.
- We do accept multiple submissions as well as simultaneous submissions (if your novella is accepted elsewhere we do ask that you let us know ASAP).
- Profanity, sex, and other explicit situations are fine as long as they fit within the context of the story.
- Submissions are closed.
Payment and Terms:
We are funding this ourselves because we are passionate about finding new and diverse voices in SFF. We typically offer a few options to our authors, depending on a number of factors including length of story, genre and commercial outlook.
We ask for exclusive print, digital, audio worldwide English language rights, and we plan on publishing these novellas in both electronic and print formats.
How to Submit:
Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com.
Please attach your full novella as a document (.doc, .docx, .rtf). Do not send your story as text in the body of an email; we will ignore any manuscripts that are not attachments.
A cover letter is strictly necessary, and we would also love to learn a little bit about you and the inspiration behind your work (or anything else you think is relevant to your story submission).
We are happy to answer any of your questions – leave a comment or email us (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.